Notre Dame Stadium History
The Notre Dame Stadium history begins with one of the most legendary coaches in college football history—Knute Rockne. Before the new stadium, Notre Dame played their football games on Cartier Field, located north of the current stadium position. The field could only hold 30,000 fans. Rockne had brought fame and success to the Fighting Irish during his coaching tenure. The spirit he brought to Notre Dame sparked the need for a new facility. Rockne even had his own personal building blueprints made in order to prompt the school into action. In 1930, the stadium project was finally started…
Notre Dame Stadium History: The Original Stadium
After a mere four months had passed since the commencement of building, Notre Dame Stadium opened its gates. The stadium measured half a mile in circumference and stood 45 feet high. It also featured a press box with a capacity to hold over 250 writers, photographers, and television and radio broadcasters. The construction had consisted of over 2 million bricks, 400 tons of steel, and 15,000 cubic yards of concrete. The stadium was patterned on the colossal University of Michigan stadium, only on a smaller scale. The stadium could hold a capacity crowd of 59,075. In 1997, stadium renovations pushed the capacity to 80,232.